Sunday, January 01, 2006

Vacation Time!

Here it is, summer as I described in the previous post. Beautiful, traditional time for most people to go on vacation. I am feeling good about things. I have been in Ba Gua for 4 or 5 months now. I have been listening to Mike talk in the weekly talks and I love what I hear. This family syle, honor, loyalty, dignity stuff is what I always dreamed martial arts was about.

All the martial arts I had taken up to that point in time were basically a joke. White boys who thought they knew kung fu teaching people. Looking back, half of those people should never have been allowed to be instructors. It is truly mind boggling the number of people that are martial artists, but have no idea what real kung fu is.

Or the school was set up so the special people were trained and the not special were ignored. This could have been favoritism at any school, or the special people were asians and everyone else was the not special. That was my experience with martial arts up until I met Mike. No one talked about dignity and doing good with anything like true belief.

I wonder now if I was bamboozled. I know Mike is a con artist who can convince anyone of anything. I wonder if he really believed what he said on the weekends, or if it was part of his plan to become rich. I would be really disappointed if that was the case. As this narrative progresses, you will come to understand my confusion.

I am feeling like a million bucks. I am part of a group of people. Their stated purpose is to help and teach people in general. Mike said to help the world. Literally. The purpose of the group was to help the world. I liked that. I do not approve of special treatment for different groups.

I felt that, even though it was slow going, I was feeling a little better. Even though Mike never really took time to work with me, I felt like I was learning. The opportunity to meet the people every weekend or during the week made me feel good. I liked all of them and respected them for the most part.

Everything was wonderful! Everything was fantastic! Life couldn't be better than this.

I decided to go on vacation. I was going to be gone for a week I think it was. Driving around the country doing this and that. I talked to the group about the vacation. Letting them know I was going to leave. Was that OK? Would it be any kind of a problem? I was going to be gone for a week. I would probably miss weekend classes and the men's meetings. One week while I was on vacation and the next week because I would not return in time.

Everything was fine. I don't remember anyone making any comments one way or the other to be honest. I was going on vacation. So what? People had been going on vacation all summer. People came and went to class all the time for business trips or emergencies or whatever.

I said goodbye to everyone that weekend and left for vacation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home