Friday, December 30, 2005

Can I pick em or can I pick em?

One fine sunny day we were all standing around enjoying each others company. It was summertime. The day was beautiful. People and children running all over the park. The sides roads busy with cars. Birds and dogs making a racket. A wonderful day.

It must have been the end of class because there was no pressure. People were just standing around. I think it was me, Mike, George, Lonnie and Jeff for sure. It might have been Tim and Arol though I don't think so.

Something came up. I think Mike and Jeff were joking. Because they had known each other for a long time, there relationship was always a good one. Mike, in response to whatever was being disucussed said "Can I pick em or can I pick em?. I have this ability to pick generators".

What he meant is that he felt he had an eye for special people. People who were able to generate energy. This usually showed itself in as an ability to draw other people to them.

Mike obviously was a generator. He had 35 students in the Ba Gua class. He was an instructor at a small school. He had a successful psychology practice.

Jeff was odd to me. Even though he was friendly and spoke to people, he was really a very hiding kind of person. Regardless, he could, if he wanted to, draw people to him. Or they were drawn to him. You can say it however you wish.

George, even though he is a big galoot, is a likeable guy. He is like one of those hound dogs you want to pet because they are so likeable. He could be friendly with just about anyone. He was too. His job was a public relations type of job.

Lonnie was outspoken and outgoing. He was a farm boy and had that nature about him. An open face and an open attitude. He had previous medical experience which to me shows his facility in dealing with people.

I am bringing up this situation mostly for me. ;) In the midst of some of the negative things there was good. Even though I was in bad health and my relationship with Mike and the group was not so good, he included me in his "Can I pick em or can I pick em" comment that day. His comment to the group included all of us.

Even though I was anxious, nervous, standoffish and hard to get to know, I am an honest and caring person. People can tell that about me. That no matter how things may be, on the inside I have a caring heart. People are drawn to me for that reason and because I either have good energy or strong energy, take your pick.

It made me feel good to hear Mike make that comment that day. It was something I had always felt. I never knew how to express it. I had been the kind of person to draw people to me my entire life. Because I did not understand what was happening, I pushed them away. They were suffocating me. I understand all of this now. I didn't then. Maybe I will describe it one day.

After Mike made that comment, I had a positive way of describing one quality of myself that I had never understood, or had always viewed as a curse or as an affliction.

The comment also served to cement all of us as a group. There was no doubt he meant all of us. We all felt as if we were part of something special. There was no doubt he felt pride in his ability to pick special people. And pride in each of us for bearing out his predictions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home