Sunday, December 25, 2005

Turning point

The meeting at Jeff's house must have been some kind of turning point. The meeting in which I described how one thing or the other was said, then Steve, Chris and Jeff moved to one side of the room, leaving Arol, Tim and I on the other side of the room.

In light of later events, I believe that Jeff and Chris must have reported back to Mike what had taken place. I wish I could remember the issue that sparked the events. From my recollections, the disagreement was more of Arol, as a young man, putting his foot down and saying "I will not be ordered or treated as an underling". That was how I interpreted his statements.

From the point of view of authority, Jeff or Chris's point of view, Arol could be seen as a trouble maker who was challenging the boss. Sort of like a worker talking about starting a Union in front of the bosses. To the workers, it could or could not sound like a good idea. To the bosses, it was a bad idea and the man putting it forth was the enemy.

I don't recall noticing anything different in the weekend classes that occured after that men's meeting. But then, that was the way things were in the group. No one would say anything. They would watch you, judge you, then let the hammer fall. There was no reason to talk to a person about what was going on. From the point of view of the judge and jury, the people in question knew what they had done and they had done it purposefull. End of story.

I imagine they must have decided that Arol was trouble for standing up for himself. Tim was a kid still. He was staying with Arol just because. I don't know if he was even aware of what was going on. The judge and jury would have lumped Tim in with Arol. Me. I just sat there and never moved. I did not put myself into Arol's group. I would guess because it appeared I was not working out, that they would have gone ahead and included me in the group of the 3 of them.

Steve was a real brown noser. As I mentioned, he had blatantly got up and physically moved over to the position of Jeff and Chris to clearly show his loyalty. He would say and do anything to please authority. As an older man, he was fully aware of the interplay between people. He knew how to manipulate others, such as making a bold statement by physically standing up and moving over to the head guys physical position.

I mention this because to my way of thinking, Steve was brand new. Been there maybe a month, yet apparently the head guys felt he was worth more than Arol, Tim and I, who had been there for months. Being told we were part of the group, part of the family, and that we were all going places. We were all friends and part of Mike's kung fu group.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home